Family Donated Land for School, Church
PERCILLA -- This rural community in northeastern Houston County derives its name from the Americanized spelling of the name Procella. Senor Jose Maria Procella applied for a grant of a league of land at Nacogdoches in 1828. In 1830, he sold the land to Martin Murchison.
The Fitchett family donated land for a school and a church, and a school was established about 1899 taught by a man named Holland. It was later moved across the road to land donated by John C. Daniels and is the site of a Community Center. The school consolidated with Grapeland in 1943.
Methodists established a church around the turn of the century. It is still in existence in a modern building.
Henry T. Robertson was the first Percilla postmaster; the post office was established Dec. 26, 1891. Elmer Sullivan carrier Route 1, Percilla, for many years. The post office was discontinued when Miss Clara Mae Dickey retired as postmaster in August, 1963.
The Claude Jones family operated a general store in Percilla for 70 years.
Evergreen Cemetery and Church are located a short distance north of Percilla.
On the Anderson-Houston County line farther north rises Sam Houston Mound, high vantage point for many miles, and at its base is Mound City.
Early settlers used the mound to signal approach of Indians on the warpath.
Capt. W. T. Sadler, San Jacinto and Indian warfare veteran who became a Republic of Texas legislator, received a grant of land north of Mound City, where he built a home. While away serving with militia during an Indian uprising Capt. Sadler's first wife was slain by raiding savages. He was the great-grandfather of Jerry, Robert and Nat Sadler. Robert, a former Port Arthur attorney, upon retirement built a home near Percilla, where he lived prior to his death two years ago. He was buried in Evergreen Cemetery.
Capt. Sadler was buried in the Sadler family cemetery near his home. A Texas state marker stands at his grave in the family cemetery near the county line.