Downtown Palestine In 1910
This was the downtown area of Palestine in 1910. Photograph is courtesy of J. J. Murphy of Palestine.
Palestine was bustling center of activity with a population of 10,482, much of which was concentrated in the general area shown in the photo on these two pages.
Photo was apparently made from the old YMCA which was located on South Magnolia Street next to the Missouri Pacific Railroad tracks where MoPac now has a parking lot. Photo was made looking north.
Some identifiable landmarks of the era shown in the photo, include the Missouri Pacific Railroad passenger station at left with either mail or baggage cars sitting near the station.
Spring Street is in foreground and Sycamore Street is at right. Old Palestine Chamber of Commerce bungalow is at right, foreground, where there is now a parking lot for East Texas National Bank.
At center, background is old City Hall (taller building with tower). Background, far left, is Sacred Heart Catholic Church.
At right is New Temple Theater, now the site of Palestine Savings and Loan. Also at right is steeple of First Presbyterian Church.
Building at leftcenter was former home of Royall National Bank.