Courthouse Was Rebuilt In 1914
Judge Gordon Russell dedicated the present Anderson County Courthouse in ceremonies Dec. 20, 1914, according to the dedication program kept in county archives. A. W. Gregg, president of the Anderson County Bar Association, presided over the dedication in the district courtroom at 1:30 p.m.
Thomas B. Greenwood introduced the speaker after the invocation by the Rev. J. C. Oehler, The Rev. L. B. Haskins gave the dedication prayer.
The old courthouse had burned Jan. 6, 1912, and the present building was started July 7, 1912. B. P. Garvey, Jr., Gainesville, was superintendent of construction.
The building committee appointed by the commissioners court was composed of County Judge E. V. Swift and Commissioner George Scarbrough, Precinct 1. Other commissioners were George Bradford, Precinct 2; J. C. Beard, Precinct 3, and George W. Gilbert, Precinct 4.
Sub-contractors were: A. M. Burns, Palestine, heating, plumbing and vacuum cleaner system; William A. Carro & Company, St. Louis, wiring; Egan Fixture Company, Dallas, electric fixtures; Ben Sarvis, Palestine, painting, with paint furnished by J. D. Smullen & Company, Palestine; Wisconsin White Oak woodwork was furnished by Ingram Mill Company; iron stairs and dome, Mosher Mfg. Co., Dallas; roofing and dome covering, Dixie Heating and Ventilating Co., marble, J., Desco & Son, Dallas; stone columns, E. Oats, Dallas; wooden furniture, Hodges Furniture Co., Palestine; steel furniture, Art Metal Construction Company; bronze tablets, Houston Car Wheel & Machine Co.; steel window frames, Gilbert Mfg. Co., Dallas; U. S. Battleship linoleum, Swann Furniture Co., Palestine; and shades, Swann Furniture Company, Palestine.
County officials, in addition to Judge Swift, were: J. J. Strickland, County Attorney; J. I. Hopkins, county clerk; M. D. Hardman, county treasurer; E. T. McCain, district clerk; H. H. Fitzgerald, tax collector; R. R. Sadler, tax assessor; D. H. Guinn, sheriff; and Mrs. Lula Sadler, superintendent of public instruction.
The dedication program stated that "Just a few things remain to be done until the building is absolutely finished... The winter being on, and district court being in session, and the officials being in cold, close and uncomfortable quarters, has hastened the dedication, and for these reasons we deemed it advisable not to wait on the sub-contractors any longer, but to move in, as all the offices are completed and only work on top and around the rotunda needs finishing."
The program was printed by The Herald. An architect's sketch on the cover showed period cars and buggies as well as costumes of people on the walks.