Farris' Women's Apparel - The 3rd Oldest Business Establishment in Palestine
Abraham Farris came to Palestine in 1900 and established his general dry goods store between Spring and Main in the 100
block. His stock consisted of general dry goods, buttons, accessories, dresses, men's
clothings, shoes and fabric. Later the store was moved to a building further west of the 100 block.
In the latter part of the 1920's the A. Farris Store was moved to the corner of Oak and Magnolia. Mrs. A. Farris would sit at the
back door of this store and crochet- often she would make a air of bootees for a customer while the lady shopped the store
for other merchandise. This store closed about 1947. Shortly after the closing Mr. Farris, Sr., and three of his sons, Louis,
Tony, and William opened a cotton buying operation to buy and sell cotton. They purchased the first bale of cotton sold in 1952
from the Shelton Gin Company. (Picture of A. Farris with Leroy Griffith, manager of Shelton Gin at that time.)
Louis Farris, after several years in business in and around
Jacksonville, came to Palestine and entered business with his father. In 1932 Louis branched off from his father's business to
open a ladies' apparel store, specializing in women's clothing. This business location was between Main and Spring where the
present parking lot for the East Texas National Bank is located. In 1939 Farris' Apparel for Women was opened at 211
West Oak with a beautiful redecorated building featuring exclusive women's apparel in all top name brands. The new
store featured the first carpeted floor and air conditioned business establishment in Palestine. At this time Louis'
brother, William joined the firm introducing ladies' shoes to the venture. In 1949 negotiations were made to purchase the
old Pal Theater located between Farris' and The Grand Leader and in 1951 a refurbished exclusive ladies apparel store
was opened doubling its size. In 1958, a son, Louis Jr. joined his father in the operation of the store until 1960. Another son,
Richard, joined his father in 1962 and upon Louis Farris, Sr.'s passing has assumed leadership in the old family business,
carrying on the tradition of exclusive one-of-a-kind ladies name brand apparel and accessories.
First National Bank
A Banker's Viewpoint...
It disturbs us, in this bicentennial year, that there are some people in our country who
seemingly are ready to write off our future as a progressing nation.
We couldn't disagree more with the idea that this country is on an uncontrollable decline.
Yet some people who ought to know better seem to think it is.
Former diplomat Clare Boothe Luce, undoubtedly an extremely intelligent woman, made
some comments not long ago regarding United States prospects for its third century. She
called herself "an optimist who thinks good things can happen but probably won't."
She forecast nuclear war within 25 years, said the country has no goals, and that moral
order in the country is collapsing.
Admiral Elmo R. Zumwalt, former chief of naval operations, has written a book in which
he says Secretary of State Henry Kissinger believes the United States is moving downhill
and that his job is to get the best deal he can from the Soviet Union before our inferiority
becomes too obvious.
Some people think inflation is going to wipe out the economics of the country. Others say
the welfare system will break the nation, and the Social Security system will collapse.
We agree that all things mentioned are problems, some extremely serious. But we believe
at the same time that, since the people of our country recognize the problems, they'll keep
pressure on our politicians to straighten them out.
It is true that Russia is not living up to the spirit of detente. But we still have the capacity
to obliterate Russia if there should be a nuclear attack, and the Russians know it.
Meanwhile, we can, and should, beef up our conventional ground, air and naval forces sufficiently
to command the full respect of all potential aggressors.
If our Congress heeds the demands of the people, for balanced federal budgets and
restraints in spending and taxation, we can keep inflation under control while correcting our
mistakes in welfare and other programs. If we do these things we'll be a stronger nation.
We are still the world's greatest nation. With confidence in our future, and the same kind of
determination that made this nation strong in the first place, the always-resourceful
American people will make our country's third century far better than its first two.
[Signed by WM Knowles]
Gibson's Discount Center Building - Approx 1976
Glass Containers, Inc.
"From Cotton Field to Factory in less than 100 days" is the way the
headline reads, when the glass plant (Knox Glass) began operation on July 5, 1941. The plant
originally manufactured "flint" or clear glass containers with 7 machines. In 1958 an amber glass
furnace was installed. By 1967 there were 11 glass forming machines, turning out some 250 tons
of containers per day and employing over 500 people.
With the takeover by GLASS CONTAINERS, Inc., in 1968, more modern and faster machinery was
installed for better, more economical production. They now employ over 400 people and produce
approximately 1,000,000 containers per day. There is also a reclamation plant for used and broken bottles which reuses
tons of scrap. Over 350 tons of raw material is used per day, the operation completely controlled automatically
from an electronic control board. From two furnaces the packaging lines pack some 300,000 cases per day, one line
packs two cases at a time.
Glass Containers, Inc. has been an important factor to Anderson County and Palestine economy for 35 years and
continues to be an integral part of our industrial growth in Palestine.
HasselI-Foster Traces History Back 44 Years
Hassell & Foster Funeral Home traces its three-generation family history back to 1932, when G.G. (Gus) Hassell came to Palestine to enter the partnership, South-Hassell Funeral Home, at 101 East Crawford Street.
In 1938, L.E. Foster became Mr. Hassell's partner, and the firm name was changed to Hassell & Foster Funeral
David Foster, son of L. E. Foster and grandson of Mr. G.G. Hassell, became a partner in 1964.
The business continued at the 101 East Crawford Street location until 1947, when it was moved to the present address, 207 South Magnolia Street.
There if occupied the stately three-story Frank Huffsmifh family mansion. The property had been purchased
during World War II. Remodeling and addition to the former residence started in 1946.
The third story of the building was removed, along with the cupolas it contained. The upstairs portion of the
remaining two-story structure was used for living space, while the downstairs part was converted into staterooms
and other facilities. A beautiful chapel was added on the north side, as well as a music room and a family room. Oak
pews and cushions were installed. The chapel has a seating capacity of 275 and is equipped with a Hammond organ.
An east front also was added to the building, with an insurance office and three private offices.
On the south side, a selection room was built. The building was air conditioned and
These facilities were used until 1972, when Hassell & Foster entered into a contract to add a new wing with 750
square feet of floor space faced with brick and cedar shingles containing three beautiful new staterooms.
The entire downstairs area was remodeled, including the lobby, family conference room and the original
A beautiful perpetual care cemetery, was chartered in 1960. Located at the intersection of U.S. Highway 84 and
Farm Road 1137 east of Palestine, 1.1 miles from the city limits.
Roselawn is a garden-type cemetery with a choice of gardens offered. These include the Garden of the Word, the
Garden of Creation, the Garden of Prophecy, the Garden of Christ, the Garden of Gethsemane (Catholic garden),
and the Masonic Garden for members of the Masonic Order and their families.
Superbly landscaped with shrubs, evergreens, paved roads and walkways, Roselawn's beauty will be maintained
LIFE INSURANCE SERVICE OFFERED
Hassell & Foster Life Insurance Company has an impressive background, as well as a strong current position and
an assured future.
If is the culmination of experience and resources built during 40 years of service to many policy holders, helping
them meet the inevitable costs of funeral and burial.
In 1971, the firm received permission to write policies up to $1,500, health and age permitting.
Today, Hassell & Foster Life Insurance Company is one of the strongest insurance companies in its field. It
operates directly under the State Insurance Commission.
The intent of Hassell & Foster Life Insurance is not to replace other insurance but to supplement what the policy
holder may be carrying in the way of insurance protection.
Industrial Garment Co.
Industrial Garment Manufacturing Company opened
for business in 1945 in Palestine in a downtown
location. The present location at West Oak Street was
built in 1955 for a boot factory and the garment plant
was moved into the building in 1958. They have expanded the plant over double its original size and have
approximately 35,000 feet of floor space to accomodate the 180 employees. About 1,700 dozen garments
are turned out per week, with 432 dozen pairs of pants
cut per day from over 8,000 yards of material. The
payroll exceeds $20,000 per week and over $1,000,000
per year, which goes back into the local economy.
Mr. George Rice was manager from 1946 to 1950
and returned in 1954 and is now Regional Manager.
Mr. Shelby Detter, who joined the operation in March
of this year is assistant manager; he has had over 15
years experience in the garment industry.
Another subsidiary of the company is Industrial
Uniform & Towel Service, a rental division. Mr. Chester
Baker of Tyler, Tex., is the Account Executive for this
division. Pictured below is Bud Ives of Palestine, local
truck service for industrial rentals of towels, uniforms,
The local plant is a subsidiary of Work Wear Corporation of Cleveland, Ohio, which in addition to operating
garment factories has a string of industrial laundries.
In addition to making work wear and uniforms the
local plant also manufactures some women's wear.
J. C. Penney Co.
The J. C. Penney Co. originally opened for business in Palestine on April 1,
1920 at 306 N. Sycamore Street. Penney's remained at this location until 1957 at which time they moved the store to their present location at 201 W.
Oak Street. In 1970 the outside of the Penney store location was given a new face lifting, and in 1975 the inside of the store was remodeled making
room for more merchandise and to better display the entire store. Penney's has added much down through the years to the growth and prosperity of
Palestine, and has always been glad to be a part of this fine community.
Memorial Hospital opened June 3, 1952, with a 75-bed capacity. In 1964 it was
expanded to 125 beds. George Summerlin became administrator August 1, 1964. The
monthly payroll for 250 employees exceeds $140,000. They offer a complete in-service
training department to train new personnel and update present staff; a complete
pharmacy; medical records department; a dictating system for doctors to relate medical
information direct to medical records at hospital, or from home, office or car by phone; a
complete blood center; intensive care unit; physical therapy department; inhalation and
respiratory units; X-Ray; as well as emergency room and surgery. The hospital is owned
by Anderson County and governed by an elected board.
Piggly Wiggly is the original self-service food store. Founded in 1916 by the
late Clarence Saunders, the first Piggly Wiggly store was located in Memphis, Tennessee. If was an immediate success
as customers liked being able to make product selections for themselves instead
of depending on a clerk to make the selections for them.
Many veteran grocermen ridiculed Saunders. They did not think self-service
would work, but Mr. Saunders proved them wrong!
The widespread acceptance of self-service grocery merchandising made if
mandatory for conventional grocery operations to study this new technique. A number of independent grocers
throughout the country became associated with Saunders on a franchise basis: and these independent grocers,
operating under the Piggly Wiggly banner, became the nucleus of the Piggly Wiggly System as if is today.
The grocery giants -- the national chains -- also became interested in the
prospect of self-service. A number of them obtained franchises and operated Piggly Wiggly stores as "trial balloons"
to determine the effect of this new method of selling groceries.
Through a series of stock transactions in the early twenties, Saunders lost control of Piggly Wiggly. Following this, he had no further association with the System or its parent organization, Piggly Wiggly Corporation.
After Saunders passed from the Piggly. Wiggly picture in the twenties, the
System continued to grow, both through the association of independent grocery merchants operating under the Piggly
Wiggly name and the increased expansion of Piggly Wiggly stores operated by the national grocery chains. In this
latter development the chains were soon convinced that self-service merchandising was the sales method of the
Accordingly, the chains bought tremendous blocks of Piggly Wiggly
stock and established Piggly Wiggly units by the thousands. Soon self-service shopping had full acceptance by the
public. Then the chains systematically converted their Piggly Wiggly units back
to their original corporate names. As a result of this, for a time, the number of
Piggly Wiggly stores diminished sharply.
In 1941, the owner of an independent chain of Piggly Wiggly stores acquired
controlling interest in Piggly Wiggly Corporation. The Operator was William R. Lovett, now Chairman of the Board.
Lovett was convinced of the value and effectiveness of the Piggly Wiggly name and the system of merchandising that it
represented. He was also convinced that future growth of Piggly Wiggly lay in expansion of the independent grocers
operating under franchises issued by Piggly Wiggly Corporation.
Starting with the nucleus of independent Piggly Wiggly operators who
were associated with the System's organization, the Corporation instituted a program of expansion that continued
through the years and is today more intensive then ever before. Today there are over 1,000 Piggly Wiggly
supermarkets located in more than 30 states.
Carroll L. Kester, an experienced grocer and executive, is President of
Piggly Wiggly Corporation. He is responsible for the day-to-day management of all corporate activities.
PIGGLY WIGGLY FIRSTS. Since 1916, Piggly Wiggly has been noted for a long
list of improvements in the food business which have been copied all over the world. Many of these "firsts" are
commonplace today: FIRST to sell foods by the self-service method which it originated in 1916, FIRST to give
shoppers the advantage of more savings through "scientific merchandising.", FIRST to put employees in uniforms for
cleaner, more sanitary food handling.
FIRST to design and use "color engineered" fixtures and equipment
throughout the store, FIRST to operate its own factory to design, test, and distribute
food store equipment, FIRST to franchise independent grocers to operate under the
self-service method of food merchandising, FIRST to feature "week-end specials" all through the week, FIRST to
price mark every item in a food store, FIRST to feature a full line of nationally
advertised brands, FIRST to use refrigerated cases to keep produce fresher longer.
Proud People in a Proud City
In 1951 an announcement appeared in the Herald-Press stating that Wood Drug
Store at the corner of Sycamore and Main in Palestine had been bought by Leon Presley and Jim Crook, employees at that time of Wood Drug Store.
The announcement stated that in the brief time both men and their families had
lived in Palestine they had come to the conclusion that it was an ideal place to live and
rear their children. They were ready to put down permanent roots.
They thought the climate was good and the scenery beautiful. The people were
friendly and gracious and they took pride in making their county a better place in
which to live.
There were many churches for spiritual guidance. Many clubs were active with
their outgoing projects. The school system had a high standard of education. Industry
had begun to appear. Downtown Palestine was a busy place with its variety of business establishments and there was a spirit of comradeship and helpfulness
among business competitors. There was a drawback though, the one drive-in hamburger place was always crowded.
The progress of Presley-Crook was marked by the wheels in their delivery service.
The first delivery vehicle was a foot-pedaled bicycle. As the business grew they used a
two wheeled Cushman scooter, then a three wheeled scooter and finally they had four
wheels, a delivery truck.
Through the years Presley-Crook Pharmacy has been refurbished and
redecorated inside and out. Improvements came a little at a time as the business could
afford it. When the fountain was remodeled the owners felt that they were refurbishing
a county meeting place for people to come visit, rest, and refresh themselves.
Presley-Crook Pharmacy could not have made progress in their business had it not
been for their loyal hard-working employees. Three employees have worked longer
than twenty-five years and others have worked almost as long.
Presley-Crook Pharmacy has had one long range goal from the day they hung out
their first hand-painted sign to their present-day neon sign. Their goal has been to
give honest, professional health service to the people around them.
They salute the people in gratitude for the confidence placed in them and for the
business they have received from them through the years.
Swift's -- the 2nd Oldest Business in Palestine
SWIFT'S was established in 1885 by the late W.E. Swift. It was originally just books for
classroom use as there were no free books in schools at that time. Later a soda fountain
was added and they made their own ice cream.
In 1915 Boone Hombs joined Mr. Swift as a partner and the name was changed to Swift &
Hombs. They have added to the books, office supplies, greeting cards, gift items, glassware,
kitchen ware, jewelry and novelties, until one can find virtually anything one looks for at
The store has remained in the original location and has been operated by the Swift
family since it began. It is now operated by a grandson, Hal Swift and his wife.
THIS IS T.G.&Y.
T.G.&Y. operates a chain of 930 general merchandise stores in a 29-state area. These stores are
serviced from twelve warehouses throughout the U.S.A. T.G.&Y. began operations in 1936, with headquarters, general offices, and warehouse in Oklahoma City. The firm had grown to 128 stores at the end of 1957 when purchased by Buffer Brothers of Chicago,
remaining an autonomous division and continuing under the management of T.G.&Y. officers.
The division had climbed to 219 stores by 1960, the year Butler Brothers was purchased by City Products
Corporation, with headquarters in Chicago and operating throughout the United States, including Hawaii
and Alaska. City Products Corporation and its subsidiaries conduct a diversified business consisting
principally of the sales of general merchandise through company-owned and franchised stores and home
furnishings. T.G.&Y. continued to operate as an autonomous division under the management of the same
group of officers.
Scott Stores, a subsidiary of City Products, merged with T.G.&Y. in 1969. Scott operated 110 stores in 18
states, with most of its outlets being clustered in the Great Lakes and Middle Western states. This merger
brought all of City Products' company-owned stores into the T.G.&Y. Division.
1975 sales were $791,000,000. 1976 sales are projected to $900,000,000, and the billion dollar mark will be
reached in 1977. In 1975 there were 56 new stores opened, 50 are scheduled for 1976 and this aggressive
expansion program will continue into the future.
T.G.&Y. considers their stores to be of three classes: one is the expanded variety store, primarily
convenience merchandise ranging to about 15,000 square feet and carrying limited junior department
store lines; secondly the family center unit ranging from 20,000 to 30,000 square feet; thridly, the larger
family center unit ranging from 40,000 to 80,000 square feet. Depending upon the size of these family
center units, they go heavily into sporting goods, hardware, wearables, fabrics, automotive lines, and
several other departments, considering the needs of the community. Some of these may include an auto
center, pharmacy, or outdoor garden and lawn sales.
E.J. Braun is President and Chief Executive Officer of the firm. R.A. Young
is Chairman of the Board. Locally Wayne Southard is manager of the new T.G.&Y. Family Center in Palestine Plaza Shopping Center. Richard Hodge is
manager of the small T.G.&Y. store in Kroger Shopping Center.